Our Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Service We provide a comprehensive Oral and Maxilllofacial Surgery service for our local population of approximately 530,000.
Introduction Clinical observerships at East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust offer a structured opportunity for clinicians to see first hand the various clinical practises that take place within our hospitals. They are conducted under the guidance of a medical Consultant mentor and you can also learn about the general structure and characteristics of health care delivery in the NHS. The clinical observer has no direct patient care responsibilities, but is strongly encouraged and supported to participate in daily teaching ward rounds, outpatient consultations, theatre sessions and general discussion of patient care. For more information or to discuss your observership opportunity further, please contact Mr.Leslie Stove, Assistant Chief Executive at firstname.lastname@example.org We look forward to seeing you at ELHT! Our Critical Care Unit We have 24 beds which are flexibly distributed as either ICU or HDU beds. They accommodate about 1,800 admissions per year.
We are a six Consultant led service across two hospitals. We have two speciality training surgeons, more than four senior grade surgeons and six junior doctors, who work under the Consultants.
We undertake all routine oral surgery dentoalveolar procedures. We offer sub-specialty services in a number of areas:
• Head and neck cancer including free tissue microvascular reconstruction and we are able to carry out robotic surgery, the only unit in the North West of England and probably wider to do so for head and neck cancer. • Skin cancer and facial plastic surgery service places us in the top four OMFS units in the UK, dealing with over 1150 head and neck skin cancer cases a year • Orthognathic surgery for facial deformity, including distraction osteogenesis techniques and application soon for obstructive sleep apnoea. Combined joint planning with orthodontic specialists • 3D model printing service for application in surgical planning and soon surgical template construction for facial reconstruction • Dental implants, oral and facial rehabilitation following ablative cancer surgery We have an excellent educational history, with medical and dental undergraduates, producing work leading to audit, presentations and publications. One of our new Consultants has research training and has attracted new projects to the department. Our Gynaecology Department The department has speciality and sub-speciality provision in uro-gynaecology, minimal access surgery, endometriosis, infertility, colposcopy and office gynaecology procedures. • Facial trauma and reconstructive surgery • Paediatric and orthodontic oral surgery
• We have excellent facilities and state of the art equipment • We have Philips IntelliVue monitoring • We use Hamilton S1 ventilators for all types of invasive and non-invasive ventilation • We have facilities for extracorporeal CO2 removal • Our haemodynamic monitoring is the FloTrac/EV1000 system from Edwards Lifesciences • We have experience and equipment for echocardiography and ultrasound
Around 10% of our patients require renal replacement therapy; we use the Prismaflex system from Gambro for CVVHDF with either citrate or heparin anticoagulation.
We are a tertiary referral centre for hepatobiliary, vascular and major head and neck surgery.
We have a large research portfolio which includes national and international studies.
We can provide experience in both the out-patient and in-patient setting , including uro-dynamics, follicle scanning, early pregnancy scanning.
Routine procedures include: • Arterial lines • Central lines – internal jugular, subclavian and femoral • Bronchoscopy • Percutaneous tracheostomy
Routinely performed procedures:
• Tension free vaginal tape • Sacrocolpopexy • Vaginal hysterectomy and perineorraphy • Intravesical botox injection • Laparoscopic hysterectomy and management of adnexal masses • Radical excision for endometriosis, including joint surgical lists for cases involving the colorectal or urological team
• Chest drain • Ascitic drain
• Out-patient hysteroscopy including tru-clear polypectomy • In-patient hysteroscopy including resection of fibroids
We have both a weekly MDT to discuss and plan treatment for all patients on the unit and a weekly mortality meeting to facilitate any learning.
We have regular MDT meetings for oncology, uro-gynaecology and colposcopy cases so you can follow the progress of cases as they move through the local system and develop an understanding of the importance of team working to achieve the best patient outcomes.
Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs