Keep on Cooking
Several residents from the Summit at Brighton are being featured on Rochester Fox News/13WHAM-TV in a
segment called “Keep on Cooking.” The recorded segments are featured on the 13 WHAM-TV/Fox Rochester’s
Good Morning Rochester program and the 13 WHAM-TV noon news every month in 2017! Tune in to see Jan
Gustafson making pecan praline cookies, Florence Eppstein’s peanut butter chocolate trifle, Delores Medved’s
delicious cheese blintzes, plus many more. For recipes, visitfoxrochester.com/features/keep-on-cooking
Hillel School Intergenerational Program
This is the second year that the Hillel Day School has partnered with
the Jewish Home of Rochester for its Intergenerational Program.
A group of 10 students and 10 Jewish elders meet monthly to enjoy
lunch, learn about each other’s interests and values and celebrate
relevant holidays together.
They kicked off the year with a meet-and-greet and welcomed in the
sweet New Year for Rosh Hashanah with a story told by Rabbi Adam.
Apples and honey were enjoyed by everyone. Other activities through
this year have included:
– students and residents strung gourds, fruit and hung decorations in our Sukkah at JHR.
– both generations put their gratitude towards those that have served or are currently serving
and sent out veteran’s day letters. A Resident Veteran in the program shared stories about his service during
Korean War with the group.
– they made latkes in the culinary kitchen and listened to the Rabbi as he discussed the significance
of why we eat some of these oil treats.
– Bonnie Abrahams from the Jewish Federation was invited to sing songs that celebrate
our diversity in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Celebration of Tu B’Shevat
(also known as the celebration of trees) – they talked about conservation and
continued to narrow the gap between generations. They continued with their questionnaires and casual
conversations while sharing a meal together.
– the students entertained the elders with a skit focused on this important holiday.
– the group made some Passover crafts.
In late April, elders from the Jewish Home attended the Hillel Day School for
Holocaust Remembrance Day
They attended a program and ate lunch in the students’ cafeteria.