Build Your Network

B uild Y our N etwork

Career ID Code

Why Networking is Important  Did you know only 15% of available jobs are on job boards?  That means that the other 85% are found by being in the right place at the right time, through word of mouth...also known as Networking . You might be surprised, but a lot of networking starts with something most people already want—to help others. Check out this video for more on How to Network by Howcast on YouTube. Networking Tips As you build your network, begin by contacting family members, neighbors, friends, general acquaintances, professors, and work associates. Talk to everyone you know about your career ideas and goals. Be where people are.

“It’s not what you know, but who you know!”

Join a professional organization and attend meetings with the goal of meeting at least one new person. To find associations and events that match your interests, browse the career services website or talk with a career team member for assistance.

When at any event, take the initiative and introduce yourself to people; don't wait for people to talk to you. Ask them about themselves and what they do. When someone is discussing ideas, listen carefully and show your interest in what they have to say. Interest in the other person is critical to building rapport and is the basis for beginning a long-term relationship. Your positive energy and enthusiasm in a conversation can be contagious and cause you to be remembered. Also, people may be willing to help you because of your sincerity and professionalism.

When you have the opportunity to talk with people whether phone or in person, write a thank-you note . Let them know that you appreciate the time they gave you and the information they shared. In addition, keep yourself in their mind by following up on suggestions and referrals. Networking is a 2-way street . Be seen as a source not as a taker. Go out of your way to offer your assistance to the other person. When you run across something you think someone in your network will find interesting, share it with them. People will appreciate your effort to inquire about how the big project they were working on went when you last spoke. Keep track of who you meet, where they work, and what they do. If you have a meeting with someone, be sure to write down the date, time and directions. Some find it useful to keep this information in a spreadsheet or a word document like below: Remember: 20 focused conversations will get you closer to your objective than 100 pleasant, yet shallow conversations.



Conversation/Notes Follow Up #1

Follow Up#2

Jose Employer

ABC Company

Met at career fair

Asked to visit office


These behaviors and attitudes can be learned through practice. You will never stop networking. Be Intentional. Be Prepared. Be Substantive.

Be Considerate. Be Organized. Be On Time. Be Open. Be Enthusiastic.

Be Sincere. Be Proactive. Be Positive. Be Image Conscious. Be Remembered.

Be Flexible. Be Reciprocal. Be Professional.

Be Interested. Be Assertive.

Made with