Chronological History of the American Civil War

P a g e | 171

Col. George Waring (U.S.) (pictured) was crossing the Hatchie River entering Bolivar, Tennessee. They are gathering all the provisions available. After the war, Waring would again come to West Tennessee, to Memphis during its Yellow Fever epidemic, design and built a new sewer system for the city. Memphis now has a street named for Waring (Waring Road) running from Walnut Grove Road north to Macon Road. Friday, February 5, 1864 : General William T. Sherman (U.S.) led his men this day on another leg of the trip from Vicksburg as they entered Jackson, Mississippi with no formal, organized opposition to Sherman’s

march. But the entire trip was so plagued with snipers, traps, deadfalls and other impediments that the men referred to it as an eighteen-mile skirmish. In western Tennessee, Col Fielding Hurst has trained his attention on the men of Wilson’s 21st and Newsome’s 18th Cavalries (CSA). Today, Private Martin of the 21st was shot to death, and burial denied for four days. From here the 6 t h Tennessee (U.S.) ride on to Jackson, Tennessee. Saturday, February 6, 1864 : The South today, declared it illegal to use U.S. paper money in any transaction. They also banned the import of all luxury goods, and no export of cotton, tobacco, sugar, molasses or rice was to leave port, unless the government was given half the proceeds of the sale of the total tonnage. General William Sooy Smith (U.S.) finally leaves Memphis to join General Sherman (U.S.) in his Meridian Campaign. In Virginia, to distract attention from a planned cavalry-infantry raid up the Peninsula on Richmond, the Union army forced several crossings of the Rapidan River. They are met by rebel gunfire. In Bolivar, Tennessee, Union forces are attacked by Rebels just east of Spring Creek. A large number of Union soldiers are sent from town to reinforce. The Rebels scatter, with 10 or 12 being captured. No Union casualties. Sunday, February 7, 1864 : As promised, Col. Fielding Hurst (U.S.) (pictured) returned to

Jackson, Tennessee. During the summer of 1863, while Hurst was in Jackson, he ravaged and robbed the personal property of a Mrs. Newman, who filed a complaint with Federal authorities. After an intense investigation, Col. Hurst was found guilty of theft and charged $5,139.25 to reimburse to Mrs. Newman. Now Hurst decided, he was due reimbursement for the fine levied against him by U.S. authorities in the matter concerning Mrs. Newman. He demanded the $5,139.25 from the citizens of Jackson. Should the amount not be paid in full in five days, in either U.S. or Kentucky notes, the city of Jackson would be burned. Just a couple of months earlier, on November 3, 1863, $1,500 in Gold or $2,500 in U.S. notes were paid to him to spare Bolivar,

Tennessee. In April 1863, Hurst even raided his own hometown of Purdy, Tennessee and ordered the burning of the courthouse, church, and several homes. The citizens of Jackson knew he was serious. Union troops under General Truman A. Seymour (U.S.) landed at Jacksonville. This was the fourth occupation of the city by a Union army. Many of the African-American troops in the Union force were former free blacks and runaway slaves from the north Florida area. In Virginia, the attacks had stalled for the Union trying to cross the Rapidan River, and the Union army withdrew during the night, with the results of the battle inconclusive, resulting in 262 Union casualties.

Made with FlippingBook Online newsletter