in the museum is the Modesto Varischetti mine rescue story, the famous Waghorn bottle collection and the Pharmacy display. Warden Finnerty’s Residence A beautiful old house built of local stone in 1895 for Coolgardie’s first Mining Warden and Resident Magistrate, John Michael Finnerty. During a visit here you can walk through the rooms, with lovely antique furnishings and chinaware on display, to capture the feeling of life in the late 1890s. Contact the Coolgardie Visitor Centre for opening times. Upcoming events Coolgardie Day Celebrations - Sunday 20 September 2020 Held every year on the third Sunday in September, Coolgardie Day is the celebration of the day in 1892 when Arthur Bayley registered his claim, known as Bayley’s Reward, for himself and William Ford, triggering the greatest gold rush in Australian history. An entertaining family day out, featuring a street parade, live entertainment, market stalls and show rides. Come and celebrate the birth of ‘The Mother of the Goldfields’ with us. Coolgardie Visitor Centre 62 Bayley St (located Warden's Court Building)
The name Coolgardie is said to be derived from the Aboriginal word ‘Coolcaby’, which refers to the area’s mulga vegetation and gnamma waterholes. Over the years, Coolgardie has been known by various names such as Bayley’s Find, Fly Flat, The Old Camp and The Old Diggings. Glory Days App When in Coolgardie, be sure to download the walking trail app ‘Glory Days’, available as a free download from Google Play. The app will take you on a journey back through history to the busiest days of Coolgardie as you walk up and down Bayley Street. The view Bayley and Ford first saw in 1892 as they rode in from Gnarlbine Soak looking over to where they first struck gold – the area they soon called Fly Flat. Ben Prior’s Park An intriguing open air museum featuring interesting items of days gone by. Stop in to have a look at the old police cart, night cart and one of the smallest banks (not operating) built in 1892. Historic Cemeteries Much of Coolgardie’s history can be read on the headstones of the Pioneer Cemetery and the Coolgardie Cemetery. As typhoid hit the town in the early gold rush days, many people died without their identity being recorded. A free cemetery guide is available from the Coolgardie Visitor Centre. Goldfields Exhibition Museum Housed in the historical Warden’s Court Building (built 1898). Each room features fascinating displays telling the dramatic and tragic story of life in and around Coolgardie during the gold rush of the 1890s. Also housed Places of interest Lions Lookout
A memorial dedicated to the men who accidentally lost their lives whilst working on mines around Kambalda, as well as the hundreds of men who died from illnesses attributed to mining. The garden features a shady gazebo surrounded by native plants and roses. Red Hill Lookout Visit Red Hill which overlooks Lake Lefroy and active mining operations. The bush trails take you around the hill, showcasing some mining history and rare flora and fauna. Nullarbor Links Play the par 4 Silver Lake hole of the world’s longest golf course. The hole is named after Lake Lefroy and the tee box is dedicated to Kevin Higgins.
Kambalda WA 6442 Tel: (08) 9080 2111 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.coolgardie.wa.gov.au
Coolgardie Gold Rush Motels & Licensed Restaurant
Coolgardie WA 6429 Tel: (08) 9026 6090 Email: email@example.com www.coolgardie.wa.gov.au
Kambalda 651km east of Perth
Only 38km west of Kalgoorlie on Great Eastern Hwy. Great accommodation in wonderfully historic Coolgardie, ‘Mother of the Goldfields’. Refurbished motels, all with private facilities and free Wi-Fi are just a short stroll to town’s historic street scape and attractions. Fully-licenced restaurant open Sun to Fri, 5-7pm.
Visit Australia’s first nickel township established in 1897 as a gold mining town during the gold rush frenzy, but was virtually deserted by 1908. The town came alive again during the 1960s with the discovery of one of the world’s largest nickel sulphide deposits and the opening of Australia’s Golden Outback’s first nickel mine known as St Ives Kambalda.