DMV-DIRECT Newsletter - September 2018

S e p t e m b e r | 1 8

REGISTERING AND TITLING A VEHICLE IN CONNECTICUT DMV-DIRECT is the exclusive out-of-state partner with Connecticut DMV and processes many types of transactions, including issuing passenger, commercial, or combo plates, transferring registrations, and perfecting liens. Recent changes are making it easier for New York dealers to get vehicles registered and titled for Connecticut customers.

New Forms of ID Acceptable Connecticut is now accepting a customer’s driver’s license from any state, a Connecticut Learner’s Permit or a Connecticut non-driver ID as permissible forms of identification to register a vehicle in the state. If the customer’s address on the driver’s license, learner’s permit, or Connecticut ID is different from where the customer plans to register and title the vehicle, the customer must complete and sign an Individual Change of Address/ Voter Registration Application (B-58) form (available from DMV-DIRECT). A customer who leases a vehicle in Connecticut can now keep their current license plates and transfer them to a new leased vehicle, even if they’re obtaining the car from a different leasing company. The customer can also keep their plates if they are going to purchase a car (including a lease buy-out).

No Emission Test Required In the past, used vehicles required an emission test before the vehicle could be registered in Connecticut. This is no longer the case. The dealership’s service technician can complete a VIN verification form and the vehicle can be registered and titled. Once the vehicle registration is completed, the customer has 30 days to get the emissions test done or they will face penalties and/or fines.


Make sure: • The MV-50 & MV-82 are signed by all necessary parties. • The name on the insurance card matches the customer’s ID. • Fill in the inspection number on the MV-50 when billing out the vehicle before sending the paperwork to DMV. • The back of the MSO (that is swapped in from an out-of-state dealer) has the reassignment filled in correctly and that the mileage is not blank . Ensure the reassignment section is notarized, when necessary. • Both sides of the used car/trade titles are completed & all appropriate boxes are marked with either an X or a check mark. The mileage must be filled in and signed by the proper party in the proper spaces.

Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online