Simon: The Impact of Brick and Mortar Shopping
(1) $12/h wage at 40h weeks and 10-month full employment annually.
(13) Simon, “Does shopping behavior impact sustainability?” March 2016.
(2) ICSC, “Consumers See a Bright Future in Malls,” March 2, 2018. Accessible at https://www.icsc.org/uploads/t07-subpage/Consumers_See_a_Bright_Future_in_Malls.pdf.
(14) Banjo, Shelly. “Rampant Returns Plague E-Retailers.” WSJ. Wall Street Journal , 22 Dec. 2013. Web. 03 Nov. 2015 (15) U.S. EPA, “Advancing Sustainable Materials Management: 2015 Fact Sheet,” released July 2018. Accessible at https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2018-07/ documents/2015_smm_msw_factsheet_07242018_fnl_508_002.pdf.
(3) Simon analysis.
(4) For more information, refer to https://www.simon.com/the-edit.
(16) Data is for 2016, as this was the most recent full year of data available, for both Simon and industry.
(5) Simon’s definition of a local, independent business is a business for which the location under question is the first location for that business in the market or is a start-up, and the business is locally owned and operated (not operated or funded by a large national brand or chain).
(17) Urban Land Institute (ULI) Greenprint Performance Report: Volume 8 (2017). Includes 2016 data on 8,684 properties across 1.9 billion square feet of building area in 28 countries. The data set included 32 shopping centers that provided waste performance data which was used for the benchmarking conducted in this report.
(6) Suppliers in categories including utilities; security; janitorial, food court, and landscaping; administration; and repairs and maintenance.
(18) Data is for 2016, as this was the most recent full year of data available, for both Simon and industry.
(7) Civic Economics, “Indie Impact Study Series: Salt Lake City, Utah” August 2012. Accessible at http://www.localfirst.org/images/stories/SLC-Final-Impact-Study-Series.pdf.
(19) Urban Land Institute (ULI) Greenprint Performance Report : Volume 8 (2017). Full report includes 2016 performance data on 8,684 properties across 1.9 billion square feet of building area in 28 countries. A comparative data of 122 responding shopping centers (with water data) was identified for purposes of benchmarking to Simon performance.
(8) ICSC, “The Impact of Shopping Centers on the U.S. Economy.” Accessible at https://www.icsc.org/uploads/t07-subpage/US-Economic-Impact-2018.pdf.
(9) ICSC, “2014 Economic Impact of Shopping Centers.” Accessible at https://www.icsc.org/uploads/default/2014-Economic-Impact-Kit.pdf.
(10) David Brown, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, “Mall Walking Programs Can Help Promote Physical Activity and Health,” March 9, 2016, accessible at https:// health.gov/news/blog-bayw/2016/03/mall-walking-programs-can-help-promote-physical/.
(11) Quote provided by The Today Show. Accessible at https://www.today.com/parents/mall- santa-goes-extra-mile-boy-autism-they-just-bonded-t59651.
(12) Four products included a women’s top, women’s shoes, coffee maker, and set of six wine glasses.
Made with FlippingBook flipbook maker